Stoke reject second Norwich bid for Jonathan Walters, who thinks the Potters haven’t ‘valued’ him

first_img1 Stoke have rejected a fresh £2million bid from Norwich for forward Jonathan Walters.The Canaries have been knocked back once again a week on from having an initial £1.5million offer for Walters turned down. Speaking at a press conference on Friday before the news of Norwich’s second bid emerged, Potters boss Mark Hughes remained optimistic Stoke could reach agreement with Walters over a new contract.The player, currently on a deal that runs out next summer, was this week quoted as saying he wanted to stay with the Staffordshire outfit but felt they were yet to show they truly valued him in recent contract negotiations.Reports suggest the main sticking point is the duration of extension being offered to Republic of Ireland international Walters, who turns 32 next month.And when asked about the contract situation on Friday, Hughes said ahead of Saturday’s home Barclays Premier League clash with West Brom: “Jon knows our feeling and my feeling – I’d like him to stay.“He has his view in terms of the negotiations. We haven’t closed the door and we still think we will be able to get somewhere with it, but it has not been concluded yet.”Asked if he was disappointed Walters had aired his view, Hughes said: “No – I think they are honest comments.“Maybe it is borne out of a little bit of frustration. But I have told him my thoughts about what he offers us and the value he gives to the squad.“Jon is looking for security and a little bit longer maybe than the club feels they can give him.“But hopefully there is some common ground we can discuss and move it forward.”Stoke have consistently said they want Walters to stay since rejecting Norwich’s original bid. Jonathan Walters last_img read more

‘He might be the last piece Tottenham need!’ – Reaction to Son Heung-Min’s stunning Europa League performance

first_imgSon Heung-Min hadn’t scored in any of his Tottenham appearances before the visit of FK Qarabag but he managed two in three first half minutes.And all of a sudden Spurs fans are dreaming of a partnership between the South Korean and Harry Kane.See below for the best reactions to the former Bayer Leverkusen striker’s first White Hart Lane goals. 1 Son Heung-Min last_img

Tottenham lead Arsenal in the race for Serbian sensation

first_img Luka Jovic 1 Tottenham are leading the race for Serbian sensation Luka Jovic.The 17-year-old is one of the most wanted young players in Europe and already has 10 goals in 32 league appearances for Red Star Belgrade.Arsenal and Benfica have scouted the striker, while Italian champions Juventus are also said to be interested.But, according to Calciomercato, Tottenham are currently winning the chase for Jovic.The Serbian is reportedly attracted by the north London club’s willingness to blood youngsters into the first-team and would subsequently prefer a move to White Hart Lane.last_img read more

Klopp: Injury crisis may force Liverpool into January transfer market

first_imgLiverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has admitted the growing injury crisis at Anfield could force the club to spend in the January transfer market.Philippe Coutinho and centre-back Dejan Lovren joined the Reds’ lengthy list of sidelined stars after both suffered hamstring injuries in Tuesday’s 1-0 League Cup semi-final first leg win at Stoke.The latest injury blow leaves Klopp with ten players on the sidelines – at least five of which have hamstring strains – and his only fit centre-back Kolo Toure suffered badly with cramp late on at the Britannia Stadium.Klopp had previously stated he will avoid any purchases in January to allow squad member every chance to impress before he begins to mould his Liverpool team after his first season in charge.But now the German boss admits he hand may have been forced.“In this moment with no centre-back fit I would say it is a situation where we have to think about going into the transfer market,” he said.“Two weeks ago we had three centre-backs, that’s a good situation, at the start of the season we had five, now we have none.“Injuries? Yeah that’s it, we will look at our training! We don’t train, we only recover, that is the situation now? There is no training.“But it’s no problem really. I am responsible for these things and if you want to make me responsible then it’s okay.“We have five hamstrings [Coutinho, Lovren, Martin Skrtel, Jordan Rossiter and Divock Origi plus Daniel Sturridge is still rehabilitating from one] and it’s my responsibility, but it is like it is and we have to see what we can do.”A £5.1million deal has already been lined up for Red Star Belgrade midfielder Marko Grujic, set to be confirmed on Wednesday, but the 19-year-old will immediately be loaned back for the remainder of the season. 1 Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho last_img read more

Jordi Amat signs new one-year deal at Swansea

first_imgSwansea defender Jordi Amat has signed a one-year contract extension.The 23-year-old Spaniard has made 48 appearances for the Swans since joining from Espanyol in 2013, but has started just one Barclays Premier League game this campaign.Swansea announced the news on their Twitter account, saying: “Swans defender @JordiAmat5 has signed a new one-year contract extension at the Liberty Stadium.”Meanwhile, Swansea forward Kenji Gorre has returned early from his loan spell at Eredivisie side Den Haag.The 21-year-old made just five appearances after joining on an intended season-long in July. 1 Jordi Amat last_img read more

Foreclosure activity soars; sales fall

first_imgNORTHRIDGE – Foreclosures in the Greater San Fernando Valley jumped an annual 571percent in September and sales sank to the lowest level in 19 years as the residential real estate market’s free fall intensified, a research center said Monday. Last month, 302 home and condominium owners from Glendale to Calabasas lost their properties because they could not make the mortgage payment, up from 289 in August, said the San Fernando Valley Economic Research Center. A year ago, just 45 properties were lost to foreclosure. For all of the third quarter, 854 homes were foreclosed on, the center said. Foreclosures peaked at 1,854 in the third quarter of 1996. The center’s records date back to 1988. “If there is any good news in this report, it’s maybe that the rate of foreclosures is starting to slow down,” said CSUN professor Daniel Blake, the center’s director. He said the association’s September numbers for the Valley area from Toluca Lake to Calabasas will mirror the research center’s report. Sales of new and previously owned houses and condos plunged 54.3percent to 760 transactions in September. That is the lowest number of sales in the center’s database. “I think sellers are holding off the market because they don’t have to sell now and I think the advice some of the buyers are getting is sit back if you can because there might be some better deals coming on the market,” Blake said. Despite the sales slide, the median price did inch up an annual 0.8percent, to $620,000. greg.wilcox@dailynews.com (818) 713-3743160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.He bases this on the fact that notices of default, the first part of the foreclosure process, dropped to 874 in September from 1,035 in August. But they did increase 152.6percent from a year ago, indicating that the foreclosure problem won’t soon abate. Blake also said it will take several more months to see whether default notices continue to trend down. While some foreclosed properties are selling at about 20percent under the most-recent purchase price for the property, they have not yet pounded down home values like they did in the mid-1990s. “Out inventory is increasing but we’re not getting flooded with foreclosures,” said Jim Link, executive vice president of the Van Nuys-based Southland Regional Association of Realtors. last_img read more

READY FOR CARTER

first_imgGatlin said that the Chamber of Commerce, the police department, the three neighborhood councils, local restaurants and unions have all been helping out, volunteering to clean up the area and help build the homes. In addition, City Councilwoman Janice Hahn has been working closely with Habitat for Humanity to make sure everything runs smoothly and has been in contact with Carter since before he chose to build in San Pedro. “\ told him how honored I would be to have him in San Pedro for this year’s build,” said Hahn, whose father, former county Supervisor Kenneth Hahn, was a close friend of Carter. “He could have chosen any city in the world, so having him in San Pedro means a great deal to me.” The councilwoman hopes that the project draws attention to the need for affordable housing in Los Angeles and the benefits of home ownership. “We know that when families own homes, kids do better in school, families thrive and neighborhoods thrive,” she said. Gatlin sees the week as an opportunity to raise San Pedro’s visibility. “We’re one of the best-kept secrets in the world,” he said. “So many volunteers are coming in to help, plus the world media will be here for a week. We have the opportunity to show off who we are and what we offer.” In addition, he is confident that working on new homes will bring the already close-knit community closer together. “The whole community is rallying around for good things,” he said. There are a few opportunities for the public to get involved in the Jimmy Carter Work Project celebration. Sunday’s Habitat Festival will kick off the week of work with a multicultural faith service, followed by food, live music and games. The official opening ceremonies are at 6 p.m. The Central neighborhood council has organized Jimmy Jam, a tribute to President Carter that will follow the Habitat for Humanity closing ceremonies on Thursday night. Gatlin applauded Central council member Dan Pasley for the idea for the free event, which will feature speakers and entertainment. In addition, there are still limited volunteer opportunities available. More information can be found at www.habitatla.org or www.jcwpla.org rachel.jones@dailybreeze.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Rachel Jones STAFF WRITER A spotlight will shine on San Pedro over the next week as former President Jimmy Carter, his wife, celebrities and local officials descend on the town for the Habitat for Humanity’s Jimmy Carter Work Project. Residents have been coming together to help build a new low-income housing subdivision and have been working for months to prepare the town for guests. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The JCWP is helping to build or rehabilitate 100 homes around Los Angeles, including some in San Pedro. A new 16-home development, Harborside Terrace, is being built at 308 N. Palos Verdes St. on what used to be a vacant lot. Of the two-story duplexes, 10 will be three-bedroom homes and six will be four-bedroom homes. Work on the development began in February and is scheduled to be completed next week, with a dedication by Carter on Friday. The new owners of the homes were selected earlier in the year, based on socioeconomic status. According to its Web site, Habitat for Humanity sells its homes to low-income families “at no profit and financed with affordable loans” and requires families to work on their own home and other projects. Carter will be in the area from Sunday to Friday, bringing with him a slew of volunteers and media. “We’re doing what we can to spit-shine the community,” said Joe Gatlin, president of the Central San Pedro Neighborhood Council, which covers the area where the subdivision is being built. “It feels like we won the lottery with this.” last_img read more

CONFIRMED: DONEGAL TO DUBLIN AIRLINK TO BE RETAINED

first_imgDONEGAL Airport’s flight service to Dublin is being retained, it was confirmed today.The Department of Transport has signed off on tender documentation – and has contacted the European Commission to allow Aer Arann to continue to operate the route until the tender process is completed in October.The company’s current PSO tender is due to end in a couple of months. It’s great news for local people, tourism and the business sector.Eilis Barrett, Operations Manager for Donegal Airport told donegaldaily.com: “At a meeting this morning between Donegal Airport management and the Department of Transport it was confirmed that PSO and tender notifications for the  PSO air service on the Donegal-Dublin route have been issued from the Department to the European Commission and are expected to be advertised in the Official Journal of the European Communities this month.“The specifications for services and schedules on the route are the same as currently exists (e.g. twice daily to Dublin including morning and evening rotations).“It is anticipated that the new PSO air service will commence in October. In the meantime, the Department of Transport is engaged in discussions with the European Commission concerning the continuity of services on the Donegal-Dublin route until the new PSO air service contract is awarded.” It’s understood Aer Arann will be among those tendering for the route, which is subsidised under Government policy for rural communities.CONFIRMED: DONEGAL TO DUBLIN AIRLINK TO BE RETAINED was last modified: April 5th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

City get Aubameyang and we look towards Vardy. Proper banter – Arsenal fans

first_imgManchester City are closing in on a deal to bring Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to the Etihad Stadium.The Borussia Dortmund star bagged an incredible 39 goals in the 2015/16 season, as Thomas Tuchel’s men finished second in the Bundesliga, were runners-up in the DFB-Pokal and progressed well in the Europa League.He is heavily in demand, with a host of Europe’s top clubs wanting to sign the 26-year-old Gabonese attacker. Arsenal and Manchester United have both been linked with Aubameyang previously, whilst Pep Guardiola made it his desire to bring the forward to City months ago.Now that Guardiola is officially in charge of the Manchester club, a deal is close to completion – much to the annoyance of another group of Premier League fans.As Arsenal have been linked with Aubameyang, Gunners fans have made it clear that they would love him at the Emirates.However, they seem to have missed out on the prolific forward, and are instead chasing Leicester man Jamie Vardy, with fans are lamenting their club’s failures in the transfer market. Manchester City are trying to finalise a deal for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 1last_img read more

Championship news: QPR register interest in Ligue 1 winger

first_img Yeni Ngbakoto played a key role in helping Metz return to Ligue 1 QPR have sounded out Metz over a move for Yeni Ngbakoto, according to reports in France.The 24-year-old winger helped fire his side back to Ligue 1 with 12 goals in 38 appearances in France’s second tier last term.But Ngbakoto has suggested that he is ready to move on and there are a clutch of clubs within France keen to sign him up.However, according to France Football, now Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s Hoops have emerged as contenders to sign him and have even made contact with Metz about a summer deal.But they may be scuppered in their attempts to bring Ngbakoto to west London as he would prefer to ply his trade in one of Europe’s top tiers. 1last_img read more