3 days agoEvra: Why Burnley winger Lennon one of the toughest opponents

By

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Evra: Why Burnley winger Lennon one of the toughest opponentsby Paul Vegas3 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United hero Patrice Evra admits Burnley winger Aaron Lennon was one of his toughest opponents.Evra clashed with Lennon when he was with Leeds United and Tottenham.He says the winger’s pace and style of play would sometimes cause him problems.”Lennon is the kind of player – if I wasn’t 100% fit – he would run behind me, and defenders hate when that happens.”He had this quick movement and it was also difficult to play against him.” last_img read more

The 7 College Football Teams That Control Their Own Destiny

By

first_imgCFB Playoff logo promotion.Twitter/Playoff CFB PlayoffTwitter/PlayoffTuesday night, the College Football Playoff committee unveiled its third set of rankings, which features no changes from 1-5, but a major shakeup after. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Iowa held serve, but a number of teams, including Oklahoma, made major moves.At this point, while there is still a great deal of football to be played, a few things are obvious. There are seven teams that are in complete control of their own destiny. What does that really mean? If these seven teams win out, they’re locks for the College Football Playoff – no question. These squads are either undefeated or are involved in virtual play-in games that will knock out other contenders.The two teams with the best playoff odds that don’t control their own destiny? That’d be Oklahoma, which, given its loss to Texas, would need a little help to get in with an 11-1 record, and Notre Dame, which won’t have the luxury of claiming a conference championship, should it also finish with an 11-1 mark. Oddly enough, there are many who believe that the last playoff spot could come down to the Sooners and the Irish.Here are the seven teams that control their own destiny.7 Teams: Clemson >>>Pages: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8last_img read more

OBC staff protest merger with PNB

By

first_imgGURUGRAM: Thousands of employees and officers of the Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) on Wednesday held a demonstration outside their corporate office in Gurugram, where the board meeting to approve its merger with Punjab National Bank (PNB) was being held, in a move to register their protest against the big banks merger that Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman recently announced.A joint statement from the All India Oriental Bank Employees’ Federation (AIOBEF) and All India Oriental Bank Officers’ Association (AIOBOA) condemned the merger and said that all employees of OBC sported a black badge under the banner of AIOBEF and AIOBOA on Wednesday as a sign of protest. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderAccording to the merger announcement, United Bank of India an OBC are to be merged with PNB. KH Pandey, the convener of the Joint Action Committee of OBC’s employees’ and officers’ union said that August 30 would be remembered as a Black Day in the history of the Indian banking industry. Pandey added that even when the associate banks of State Bank of India were merged with the parent bank, 6,590 branches had to be closed, fearing the same thing would happen to the smaller banks that have been merged. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsThe joint statement said that the current state of the economy required an expansion of bank branches for all-round development and upliftment of the economy, but “this decision of closure of six banks is very unfortunate and unwarranted”. Moreover, the employees’ union pointed out that OBC had been churning out profits for the last four quarters and yet is being merged with PNB, which is “continuously running in loss and could not detect the fraud of Nirav Modi for such a long time”. The protesting employees also condemned the fact that while the Central government is merging public sector banks, it is encouraging small private sector banks.last_img read more

DeMo cases CBDT extends taxmans deadline to Dec 31

By

first_imgNew Delhi: The CBDT on Thursday extended the deadline up to December 31 for the Income-tax department to complete the final assessment of about 87,000 entities that made suspicious deposits post-demonetisation. The existing deadline of September 30 is being “extended” by three months after considering “various difficulties” being reported by the field offices of the department in finalising assessments in OCM (operation clean money) cases, a senior official told PTI. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraAn order was issued by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on Thursday, setting the new deadline on December 31, the official said. The CBDT frames policy for the I-T department. This is the second extension given by the Board in this case after the first deadline of June 30 was extended up to September, the official said. ‘Operation Clean Money’ is the special title given by the CBDT to the specific probe it launched to check black money post-demonetisation. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysThe assessing officers (AOs) of the tax department had in July asked the CBDT to extend the deadline, saying it was “humanly impossible” to finish the task in the given timeline as it required a lot of “paperwork and manpower”. These cases are those where suspicious deposits of huge amounts or amounts not in conformity with the transaction history of the entity were made post-demonetisation, announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on November 8, 2016. Two high-value notes of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 were demonetised as part of the decision. The board, earlier, had also framed a standard operating procedure (SOP) for the assessment of these cases stating that the taxman initially sent notices (under Section 142(1) that pertains to inquiry before assessment) in three lakh cases, 87,000 out of these have “not filed their return of income” for assessment year 2017-18.” It had asked the assessing officers to use the ‘best judgement assessment’ procedure as stipulated under Section 144 of the I-T Act to finalise these 87,000 cases. The section essentially reads, “If any person fails to comply with all the terms of notice issued under Section 142(1), the assessing officer after taking into account all relevant material which the AO has gathered shall after giving the assessee an opportunity of being heard, make the assessment of total income or loss to the best of his judgement…” The CBDT, on its part, had assured the AOs that its technical and data mining arm will provide them with the addresses, bank accounts and the transaction details of these 87,000 individuals and entities who have made “substantial cash deposits during the demonetisation period”. It had asked the AOs that they should also make a “detailed analysis of past Income Tax Returns, if available, to form an opinion regarding the nature of transactions related to demonetisation” while framing the assessment of these entities. “On the basis of all material and evidence gathered by the AO, during the course of assessment proceedings, assessee would be duly provided with an opportunity to explain his/her case,” the SOP said. The SOP said that once the “ultimate beneficiary of a transaction has been established”, the AO should forward this to his counterpart who has jurisdiction over the entity under scanner. It had flagged a special case, saying if “entry operators” or hawala trade-like instances are found then the jurisdictional assessing officers should “tax the unaccounted commission receipts” and unearth the nexus to catch tax evaders. The range heads, officers in the ranks of principal chief commissioners and chief commissioners of the department, were also asked to “monitor” the framing of the final assessment order of these entities.last_img read more

Kejriwal lays foundation stone for 362bed trauma centre at Sanjay Gandhi Hospital

By

first_imgNew Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal laid the foundation stone for a 362-bed trauma centre at Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital on Sunday. The trauma centre will be equipped with medical facilities like ICU beds, emergency beds, and six operation theatres. The trauma centre is expected to be ready in 18 months.The CM lauded the city’s government hospitals and said, “Despite the massive expansion of public healthcare infrastructure in Delhi, some hospitals do see overcrowding. This is because people from across the country are coming to Delhi now to access our hospitals. Today, someone from Bihar can take a Rs 500 ticket to the capital, get free treatment in our hospitals and return happily. It is a matter of great pride and happiness for us that the people of the entire country are confident in Delhi Government hospitals.” Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarKejriwal congratulated the Public Works Department (PWD) and Health departments, and said, “Ordinarily large government hospitals across the country are constructed at a cost of Rs 1 crore per bed. This hospital should have cost Rs 362 crore but the Delhi govt is constructing it in just Rs 71 crore. This has been possible because Delhi has an honest and efficient government that saves peoples’ tax money and is, therefore, able to provide the best services to all our people.” Also Read – Union min Hardeep Singh Puri, Delhi L-G lay foundation stones for various projects in DwarkaThe standard number of emergency beds in a 300-bed hospital would only be 5-6%, that would mean 15-20 emergency beds in a single hospital. The Delhi government has necessitated that 40% of the bed strength in a hospital should be emergency beds. More than 50% of beds have been reserved as ICU and emergency beds at the Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital, a report claimed. Boasting of Delhi’s healthcare model, CM Kejriwal said, “We are matching the healthcare standards of Denmark, which is one of the most developed nations in the world. Denmark has universal healthcare coverage for all, every patient, rich or poor, can access free treatments in all the hospitals. We are matching the most progressive societies in the world like Denmark, USA and Japan, in terms of providing quality healthcare to the people.” Tweeting about this, the Delhi CM wrote, “We have saved Rs 290 crore in just one project. If I use this money to make medicines, treatment and tests free for the people of Delhi, is it wrong? The Opposition claims we are wasting money by providing free healthcare to people.” Kejriwal also took the opportunity to hit back at the opponents and said, “They (opposition) believe Delhi will suffer losses with such free provisions, but I want to say that this government will not let Delhi suffer from losses. We have expanded the budget of Delhi year after year, and this is due to the trust that the people of Delhi have shown in us. Before our government came to power, the budget of Delhi was Rs 30,000 crore. Today, after five years, it is Rs 60,000 crore. We stopped the Raid Raj system, and the people of Delhi realized how paying taxes is leading them towards a more developed city. We have eliminated corruption from the capital, and are instead spending the money towards more developmental works in the city, like building schools and hospitals and providing free facilities to the people. We had decreased VAT from 12.5 percent to 5 percent but increased facilities for the welfare of the people.”last_img read more

New Delhi Telecom sector revenue from phone calls

By

first_imgNew Delhi: Telecom sector revenue from phone calls, internet and other services rose to Rs 39,123 crore in April-June this year after witnessing decline in four straight quarters, Trai said in a report on Tuesday. Combined revenue of telecom firms, which provide services to retail customers directly and account for over 73 per cent of sector services revenue, recorded around 11.98 per cent rise to Rs 28,650.28 crore in April-June quarter from Rs 25,585.07 crore in the same period a year ago, as per Trai’s performance indicator report for the quarter ended June 2019. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraThe growth resulted in high pay out to the government in form licence fees (LF) and spectrum usage charges (SUC). The LF increased by 8.48 per cent to Rs 3,133 crore during the reported quarter on year-on-year basis. “Gross Revenue (GR) and Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR) of telecom service sector for the quarter ended June 2019 has been Rs 61,535 crore and Rs 39,124 crore, respectively. The year-on-year growth in GR and AGR in the quarter ended June 2019 over the same quarter in the last year has been 5.37 and 7.03 per cent, respectively,” the report said. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysThe SUC increased by 9.08 per cent on year-on-year basis to Rs 1,121 crore from Rs 1,028 crore. The number of telephone subscribers in India increased by 1.52 per cent on year-on-year basis to 118.66 crore at the end of the reported quarter. The monthly average revenue per user for access services, which includes mobile telephony, data etc, increased to Rs 80.66 in April-june compared to Rs 72.49 recorded in Jan-March 2019 quarter. Among large telecom operators, Reliance Jio reported highest adjusted gross revenue (revenue from the sale of telecom services) of Rs 10,800 crore in the June quarter. However, BSNL registered highest growth of 27.94 per cent from sales of services to Rs 2,598.61 crore on quarter-on-quarter basis. Bharti Airtel reported 26.15 per cent rise in AGR to Rs 7,468.63 crore from 5,920.22 crore, and Vodafone Idea recorded decline of 5.78 per cent to Rs 6,721.06 from Rs 7,133.4 crore in the previous quarter. Total internet subscribers in the country reached 66.53 crore, which includes 59.43 crore broadband subscribers and 7 crore narrowband (download speed with less than 512 kilobit per second) subscribers, according to the report.last_img read more

Mumbai A special court in Mumbai on Tuesday refus

By

first_imgMumbai: A special court in Mumbai on Tuesday refused to conduct an in-camera trial in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, in which BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur is one of the accused. The court rejected an application filed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) seeking for the trial to be held in-camera. Special NIA Judge V S Padalkar said conducting the trial in a “transparent manner” is among the reasons for rejecting the NIA’s plea. He allowed media to cover the case with “certain restrictions”. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkHe said mediapersons need to submit true copies of their identity cards issued by their respective media houses. There should not be the use of any electronic device and the matter be reported as per the factual position, the court said. There should also not be any editorial, personal opinion or discussion of any kind until the end of the trial, it further said. An in-camera hearing is conducted in private with only the judge, lawyers, accused and witnesses concerned in attendance.last_img read more