4 days agoWATCH: Liverpool ace Oxlade-Chamberlain clashes with angry Man Utd fans

By

first_imgWATCH: Liverpool ace Oxlade-Chamberlain clashes with angry Man Utd fansby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool ace Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain clashed Manchester United fans after full-time at Old Trafford.The midfielder was clearly told to “F*** off” while talking to one fan, while another rejected his offer of a fist bump.It’s not clear why the 26-year-old went to the home fans after the end of the 1-1 draw.Some viewers on social media claimed that Ox had been getting some stick from that section of the crowd while warming up.Oxlade-Chamberlain involved in row with Man Utd fans as smiling star told to ‘f*** off’ and has fist bump rejected It is not clear why the smiling Ox went over to the fans. The incident took place after the 1-1 draw between Man Utd and Liverpool at Old Trafford pic.twitter.com/x6b86Lx20t— Lilian Chan (@bestgug) October 20, 2019 About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

The 7 College Football Teams That Control Their Own Destiny

By

first_imgCFB Playoff logo promotion.Twitter/Playoff CFB PlayoffTwitter/PlayoffTuesday night, the College Football Playoff committee unveiled its third set of rankings, which features no changes from 1-5, but a major shakeup after. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Iowa held serve, but a number of teams, including Oklahoma, made major moves.At this point, while there is still a great deal of football to be played, a few things are obvious. There are seven teams that are in complete control of their own destiny. What does that really mean? If these seven teams win out, they’re locks for the College Football Playoff – no question. These squads are either undefeated or are involved in virtual play-in games that will knock out other contenders.The two teams with the best playoff odds that don’t control their own destiny? That’d be Oklahoma, which, given its loss to Texas, would need a little help to get in with an 11-1 record, and Notre Dame, which won’t have the luxury of claiming a conference championship, should it also finish with an 11-1 mark. Oddly enough, there are many who believe that the last playoff spot could come down to the Sooners and the Irish.Here are the seven teams that control their own destiny.7 Teams: Clemson >>>Pages: Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8last_img read more

New Delhi The role of an opener in Test cricket r

By

first_imgNew Delhi: The role of an opener in Test cricket requires a different philosophy and mindset, where the ability to translate talent and intent into consistent performance is paramount, insists the legendary Sachin Tendulkar. As Rohit Sharma showed signs of fitting into Indian team management’s ‘Virender Sehwag Model’ with a hundred in his first Test as opener, Tendulkar spoke about the bigger picture of facing the new ball in traditional format. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju”It’s all about the mindset. If somebody wants to open the innings, then he needs to have a different kind of mindset,” Tendulkar told PTI in an exclusive interview. Talk about Sehwag, Tendulkar reminded that along with the mindset, it is also about ability, which Sehwag had in abundance. “Sehwag had that different mindset. Be it a ODI or Test, he would more or less play in the same manner. That aggressive nature was always there. Again, it boils down to the capability and the potential of that particular player,” said Tendulkar. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai Masters”There are number of guys, who want to be aggressive but to able to use that ammunition (aggression) consistently enough is something that Sehwag had been able to do. That number (opener) suited him. One needs to wait and see how it pans out (for Rohit),” said Tendulkar, whose world record of 200 Test appearances is unlikely to be broken anytime soon. Talking about philosophy, Tendulkar recalled that along with stupendous success, Sehwag also encountered rough patches but never changed his style. “Like for Sehwag, he opened for the first time in England and got a hundred. It brought him success but there were occasions, when he also had his share of rough patches. So it’s not the numbers that always really matter but what you bring to the table does,” he explained. Security and a sense of belonging is something that also brings the best out of any player, opined the all-time highest run scorer in Tests and ODIs. “I think security has to be there. If you look at any number, there has to be that security and one needs to feel that he belongs to the team. Players go through ups and down, but if they know that management is backing them, they tend to think differently,” he feels. Among the new crop of youngsters, Tendulkar is impressed with Hanuma Vihari’s temperament during the past few series. “You need to play Test cricket differently and real skill is tested on good bowler-friendly tracks and he has gone out and shown an ideal temperament,” Tendulkar said. “Vihari has been smart in selecting right shots to play at the right time. I have been impressed by his calmness, temperament as well as ability to absorb pressure. In Test cricket, various aspects are going to be tested and if you are sure of those things, your body language is different, which I saw in him,” said Tendulkar. The technical aspect that impressed Tendulkar was Vihari was ready to leave deliveries, a quality that’s also there in Australia’s find of Ashes Marnus Labuschagne. “In Ashes, Marnus Labuschagne is one of the top examples, he replaced Smith (as that Concussion substitute) at the Lord’s and then he stood out because I feel he was leaving the ball better than anyone else.” Tendulkar loves the concept of World Test Championship but it will only have context if the tracks are “sporting” in nature. “It can only happen if you play on sporting tracks and when I mean sporting tracks, it’s balanced one. If there isn’t a bit of something for everyone, then there is no point as the game itself gets affected,” he said giving the example of Ashes. “Ashes was example we got to see everything. Quality batting, top notch fast bowling and spinners also in play. There were players, who were attacking and there were players who are leaving the balls as well. Those elements shouldn’t disappear from Test cricket.” As far as points system is concerned (120 for series clean sweep), Tendulkar finds it as a good move to keep the fans engaged. “Points and all that, team would want to focus on game and nothing else. But what points system does is to keep spectators’ engagement alive. If a team has won first two Test matches, third shouldn’t be a dead rubber. Players will always give their best but how do you keep spectators engaged and involved is also important. “In the last 4 and 5 months, when teams are fighting for the top two slots, the points system will certainly add dimension and I wont be surprised if Test enthusiasts will be engrossed in calculating points,” said Tendulkar.last_img read more

Islamabad A highlevel Taliban delegation on Thur

By

first_imgIslamabad: A high-level Taliban delegation on Thursday met Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi as part of a push to revive the Afghan peace process stalled after US President Donald Trump abruptly declared the talks with the rebel group “dead”. The Taliban delegation led by Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar arrived in Islamabad on Wednesday night. The issue of Afghan peace talks and regional situation were discussed during their meeting Qureshi, a Foreign Office official said. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: Report Qureshi told the delegation that war was not a solution of the ongoing unrest in Afghanistan. The delegation is also expected to meet American officials in Islamabad. Taliban’s Pakistan visit is the fourth leg of a tour that included Russia, China and Iran. The Foreign Office announced on Wednesday that Afghan delegation was visiting on the invitation of Pakistan to review the progress made so far under the stalled US-Taliban peace talks. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protests US special envoy to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad is also in Pakistan to discuss revival of the peace talks. He may also meet the Taliban delegation. Khalilzad’s comes days after Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan’s visit to the US where he met Trump and among other issues discussed the revival of negotiations to bring peace in Afghanistan. Since his appointment in September last year, Afghanistan-born Khalilzad has met with all sides in an attempt to end America’s longest war in which the US has lost over 2,400 soldiers in more than 17 years. The US and the Taliban had agreed on draft peace plan, but the process was suspend by President Trump following killing of an American soldier in Kabul last month in a suicide attack claimed by the Taliban. Trump stunned the world when he suddenly declared that the Afghan peace talks with the Taliban were “dead”. He cancelled a secret meeting with the Taliban and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani at Camp David near Washington after the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in Kabul, in which an American soldier was among the dead. The Taliban control nearly half of Afghanistan, and are more powerful now than they were at any time since the 2001 US-led invasion after the 9/11 terror attacks. The US has continued to push for a ceasefire in the war-torn country and the opening of negotiations between the Taliban and the Kabul government. The Taliban, however, have repeatedly refused to meet with officials of the Afghan government, whom they dismiss as “puppets”. The US has long considered Pakistani cooperation crucial to efforts to end the war in Afghanistan.last_img read more

Mumbai The greens environmentalists have faile

By

first_imgMumbai: “The greens (environmentalists) have failed,” the Bombay High Court said on Friday, while refusing to declare Aarey Colony a forest and declining to quash the BMC tree authority’s decision allowing felling of over 2,600 trees in the green zone to set up a metro carshed. The court imposed a cost of Rs 50,000 on Shiv Sena corporator Yashwant Jadhav, who opposed the approval given by the BMC tree authority, of which he is a member, for hacking trees in the green belt. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework A division bench of Chief Justice Pradeep Nandrajog and Justice Bharati Dangre dismissed four petitions filed by NGOs and environmental activists on issues related to Aarey Colony in Goregaon, a major green lung of the metropolis. The court termed all the petitioners as “Davids” taking on the industrial “Goliaths”, apparently suggesting that they were fighting an unequal battle. One of the pleas moved by city-based NGO Vanshakti had sought that Aarey Colony be declared a forest and an ecologically sensitive zone, while another petition filed by green activist Zoru Bathena had pleaded that the area be given the status of a floodplain. Also Read – Afghan Taliban frees 3 Indian hostages in exchange for 11 top militant leaders: Reports Two separate petitions were filed by Bathena and Jadhav, challenging the decision of the BMC tree authority permitting the Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (MMRCL) to cut 2,656 trees to construct a metro carshed in Aarey Colony. Dismissing the petition filed by Vanshakti, the court, in its judgment, noted that the issue was already decided by an earlier bench of the high court and the matter was presently pending before the Supreme Court. “The greens (environmentalists) fail in the instant petition because they have lost touch with the procedure to be followed as per law. The clock cannot be put back. We do not make any comments thereon as the petitioner has to now swim or sink before the Supreme Court,” the court said. Dismissing the petitions filed by Bathena and Jadhav, the bench said the greens had failed on merit. “The tree authority’s decision-making process was fair, transparent and based on reason. The greens fail not on account of sailing their boats in the wrong channel but on merits,” the court said. The bench imposed a cost of Rs 50,000 on Jadhav. “It (Jadhav’s plea) is sans any material and bereft of concise statements and details concerning the meeting of the tree authority held on August 29, 2019,” the court said. It noted that there was no variation in the opinion of the members of the tree authority on whether the trees could be transplanted or had to be cut. “There are good reasons for taking the view that the trees would not survive if transplanted and that it would be futile to spend good money to transplant the trees, which ultimately would by and large die,” the bench said. The court also took note of the submission made by MMRCL counsel Ashutosh Kumbhakoni that the authority had already planted 20,900 trees in the Sanjay Gandhi National Park. “This establishes that about seven times the number of trees to be felled have been replaced by planting of saplings,” the court said. It termed all the petitioners as “Davids” taking on the industrial “Goliaths”. “Relationship with nature and love for environment alone is true and all other relationships are unreal and temporary, is their (environmentalists’) belief. Their hearts are a temple of devotion to flora and fauna,” the court said. “In the instant case, the Davids (environmentalists) row their boat with faith, courage and devotion in the storm of development but directionless,” the bench said in its judgment, dismissing the plea filed by Vanshakti. It also refused to accept the contentions raised by Bathena and Jadhav in their pleas that the tree authority had granted approval in haste and without considering opposing views. “We highlight that the deliberation by the tree authority members was not only at the meeting held on August 29, 2019. They had discussed the issue at site visits held on August 10 and 20, 2019. What was discussed at the site has been neatly presented as a bonsai in the report prepared by the tree officers,” the court said. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had given the tree-hacking approval on August 29, triggering protests by green activists and common citizens, who had launched a “Save Aarey” campaign. Vanshakti, in its plea, had said Aarey Colony, measuring 1,287 hectares, had several exotic flora and fauna. On the Vanshakti petition, the court said, “The remedy is before the Supreme Court or the National Green Tribunal. We have applied the principle of commonality and not decided on merit.” The Maharashtra government had claimed that Aarey Colony could not be termed a forest and that the issue was already decided by another high court bench. Advocate General Ashutosh Kumbhakoni, appearing for the state earlier, had said an appeal against the high court order refusing to declare Aarey a forest was currently pending before the Supreme Court. Bathena, in his plea, had challenged the decision taken by the tree authority granting permission to fell trees. The proposed carshed, part of the metro-3 project, will occupy 33 hectares in the southern part of Aarey Colony. The authority has approved felling of 2,185 trees and transplanting (uprooting from the original spot and replanting them at an alternate spot) 461 trees from the area. The authority’s approval is mandatory for felling more than 20 trees at a time at any place in the city.last_img read more

Moscow Russian President Vladimir Putin says Mosc

By

first_imgMoscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin says Moscow is helping China build a system warning about ballistic missile launches. Since Cold War times, only the United States and Russia have had such systems, which involve an array of ground-based radars and space satellites. The system is essential for early spotting of intercontinental ballistic missiles. Speaking at an international affairs conference Thursday, Putin said that Russia has been helping China develop such a system. He added that this is a very serious thing that will radically enhance China’s defense capability. His statement signalled a new level of defense cooperation between the two former Communist rivals, which have developed increasingly close political and military ties.last_img read more

Man sent to jail for bomb hoax message

By

first_imgNew Delhi: A 46-year-old man was arrested from Bara Hindu Rao area for sending hoax bomb message to the staff of Kendriya Vidyalaya in Gole Market on Thursday. Police said that the accused wanted to implicate an innocent person with whom he had argument two years ago. Police identified the accused as Shariq Akhtar, who lives in Bara Hindu Rao area of Sadar Bazar. “He was working as a liaison agent for admission of children in schools particularly in Kendriya Vidyalaya from last five years,” police said. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarDeputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) Eish Singhal said that on October 3, they received a complaint from the principal of Kendriya Vidyalaya regarding the hoax bomb scare message. “On receipt of the information Bomb Disposal Squads (BDS) and Dog squad were called on the spot. All the children were shifted to the safe side. Anti Sabotage checks of the school surrounding are got conducted. No bomb was detected,” said DCP Singhal. Later, the accused Shariq Akhtar was nabbed by the team of Inspector Gyanender Rana from Bara Hindu Rao area. DCP Singhal said that the accused confessed that his motive was to entangle one Sajid Khan whom he quarrelled two years ago on the issue of money. “Hence he took a SIM card on the Aadhaar card of Sajid and sent a hoax message,” DCP Singhal.last_img read more