Brisbane auctions ramp up this weekend. Photo: Darren England.Brisbane’s auction market is performing well despite a comparably low clearance rate, according to Corelogic.The analyst’s latest data reveals Brisbane last week recorded the nation’s lowest clearance rate at 50 per cent.For the same period, Sydney recorded a clearance rate of 76.8 per cent while Melbourne had 77 per cent clearance.However, CoreLogic auction spokesman, Kevin Brogan, said a deeper dig into the numbers proves the city is actually doing well in the auction stakes.Mr Brogan said, historically, a clearance rate of 50 per cent for Brisbane is good, particularly when you consider relative prevalence of auctions across capitals.“In Sydney and Melbourne 40 per cent or more of houses go to auction,” he said.“Fewer than 10 per cent of the properties go to auction in Brisbane.”Brogan says agents don’t necessarily measure the success of an auction campaign by whether the property sells under the hammer.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this homeless than 1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor7 hours ago“It’s possible it (may) help you to negotiate a private treaty sale which is, at the end of the day, a successful outcome.”Brogan also said the average vendor discount for private treaty shows Brisbane, at five per cent, is operating in-line with southern capitals.Vendor discounts relates to the eventual sale price for a property compared to its initial asking price.“Sydney’s 4.1 per cent and Melbourne’s 3.8 per sent,” he said.Among the Brisbane properties up for auction this Saturday is 28 Loch St, West End at 9:00am 28 Loch St, West End.The draw of Brisbane State High School catchment will overcome most buyer’s reservations about having to raise a paint brush.If you have a wish to be river side, take a look at 34 Gordon St, Hamilton at 10:00am where a gathering crowd will see a very desirable waterfront holding go on the block.In addition, 4 Stubley St Wavell Heights at 11:00am looks set to make waves with its unique architectural design sure to draw in the locals.
“You go on the pitch and you want to play,” said the former captain of the Netherlands side that won the European Championship in 1988. “The design is fantastic, and of course there’s the air conditioning.”Asked about the stadium’s $575 million price tag, spectator Sunil Moorkanat, 52, said “it is worth it”.“It’s the whole infrastructure you have to look at. The ambience is fantastic and all the amenities,” added the engineer from India who has been living in Qatar for six years.Officials had promised that the stadium would be “one of the loudest stadiums” in the world because of its design.Groups of fans, many of whom wore pristine white Qatari thobes, drummed and sang as Al-Sadd held Al-Duhail to a tense 1-1 stalemate at half-time.Of the eight stadiums Qatar is building or refurbishing for 2022, Khalifa International was already open and will host this year’s World Athletics Championships.Al-Wakrah, 15 kilometres south of the capital Doha, will be used in the World Cup for fixtures up to and including quarter-finals.Its capacity will be reduced to 20,000 after the global soccer spectacle.The stadium was one of Hadid’s last major designs before her death in March 2016, aged 65.“Hadid would have loved to be here — but her spirit is,” added Al-Jaber, the spectator.The project has not been without controversy and Hadid took successful legal action after it was claimed she did not care about the rights of workers involved in its construction.Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Al-Wakrah stadium.Al Wakrah, Qatar | AFP | Qatar inaugurated its first purpose-built stadium for the 2022 World Cup on Thursday, staging a prestigious domestic cup final in the $575 million, 40,000-capacity Al-Wakrah venue.The ground, designed by late British-Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid and located in a coastal town south of Doha, erupted into cheers as Emir Cup finalists Al-Sadd and Al-Duhail ran onto the pitch.There were some traffic jams and tight security checks as the ground, which was nearly full for the prestigious fixture, began to fill ahead of kick-off.“I’ve travelled the world and I’ve been to stadiums in different cities including the UK,” said Yousef al-Jaber, a 35-year-old oil company research director from Doha.“Finally I was able to go to one in Qatar that is world-class,” added the Chelsea fan who watched the game with his wife and two sons.“It’s a one of a kind, it’s a futuristic design. Al-Wakrah is a coastal city and the architecture is inspired by that.”Qatar’s emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani tweeted on his verified account ahead of kick-off that the ground’s name would be changed to “Al Janoub stadium” meaning “stadium of the south”.The venue’s distinctive retractable roof — meant to resemble the sails of a traditional dhow fishing boat — is made of 1,400 pieces and was shipped to Qatar from Italy.It was plunged into darkness for the pre-match show and performers assembled around a giant illuminated inflatable pearl on the centre of the manicured pitch.– ‘It is worth it’ –A video describing the Gulf nation’s history as a pearling station played on the ground’s two big screens.The pearl then slowly transformed into a representation of the Emir Cup trophy before a 150-strong marching band serenaded the stadium.Former Dutch international Ruud Gullit, who attended the ground’s maiden game, called it “a beautiful stadium”.
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – Gov. Ron DeSantis is in Miami Friday, where he will hold a COVID-19 news conference at noon from Florida Atlantic University.Watch the press conference live here.Yesterday, Florida’s confirmed coronavirus cases set another one-day record with more than 3,200 new infections.Even though South Florida is still in phase one of reopening, the increases have come as the state’s economy reopens from a partial shutdown that began in March when the pandemic spread across the nation.Reasons for the increase include: more people interacting amid the partial re-opening of the economy, hot spots emerging from the state’s agricultural communities, gatherings in the form of marches for racial equity and increased testing capacity. On Thursday, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez expressed concern over the uptick in hospitalizations but resolve to keep the economy in its current phase of re-opening, reiterating the need to comply by the new normal rules.“That’s what is concerning,” Gimenez said of the hospital numbers. “But we are not going back at this point. We need to enforce the rules that we have because we think the rules we have will work, and we need to give that a chance.”More than 3,200 people have died statewide since March 1.Meanwhile, 86,000 Floridians applied for new jobless benefits last week, the lowest number since the shutdown began. It’s a drop of almost 30% from the previous week and 80% since 500,000 claims were filed in mid-April.Governor DeSantis press conference from earlier this week.