Nineteen-year-old Anthony Bartholomew appeared on Wednesday before Magistrate Fabayo Azore after he was charged for robbery. The charge stated that Bartholomew on November 16, 2018 at Avenue of the Republic, Georgetown, robbed Annalisa Kumar of one Samsung J8 cellphone valued $68,000 while using personal violence against her.The teenager denied the charge made out against him.Police Prosecutor Warren Thornhill objected to bail being granted, noting that the teen was previously charged for a similar offence.However, the unrepresented teen, in a bail application on his own behalf, told Magistrate Azore that he did not steal the phone. He was released on $50,000 bail. The case will continue on November 23, 2018.
Region 2 flooding― many areas still inundatedDespite efforts being made by drainage and irrigation staff and engineers of Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam), several communities remain under water and up to press time, several canals were overtopping, creating chaos in several communities along the Essequibo coast.Affected residents living in the agricultural region are calling on Central Government, through the Agriculture Ministry, to dispatch high capacity pumps in an effort to more effectively drain the water from residential and farmland areas.Residents living in the Windsor Castle, Devonshire Castle, Hampton Court and Lima areas are currently under water since December 24, 2016. Although the pump and sluice in that area are operable, the flood waters have not abated.Meanwhile, on Thursday, several residents living in Capoey, Golden Fleece and Airy Hall were forced to deal with flooding after Lake Capoey overtopped its banks. The canals reportedly cannot accommodate the amount of water and as such overflowed into nearby rice lands and residential areas.At the Good Hope, Riverstown and Red Lock, the relief structures were opened in an effort to assist with draining the water off the land. Dredging has since commenced at Unu Creek in Cullen and according to Region Two Regional Vice Chairperson Nandranie Coonjah, engineers as well as Drainage and Irrigation workers are working overtime to widen the area.Areas in Airy Hall under waterMassive overflowing at CapoeyCorrective measures takenCoonjah assured that necessary corrective measures were taken in the Onderneeming Sand pit area where massive flooding was reported. The water however, continues to flow into residential lands and calls have since been made on the Communities Ministry to provide proper infrastructure.Mini excavators were dispatched to various areas along the coast to conduct emergency works which include the clearing of clogged trenches. Many residents continue to fill sand bags, forming mini walls to halt the flow of water.No major breaches were recorded to date, however, all pumps are operable except for one at Charity. Residents reported that since the flooding commenced; only Region Two Chairman Devanand Ramdatt and Regional Vice Chairperson Nandranie Coonjah have visited from the RDC.Regional Executive Officer Rupert Hopkinson has only visited Queenstown and Dartmouth communities thus far. Residents of Onderneeming are in high praise of the regional engineers, for their prompt actions.However, Rice lands remain under water and rice farmers are currently monitoring the situation. Several farmers in Hampton Court, Devonshire Castle and Windsor Castle continue to pump water off their lands.
The event could be seen as a publicity stunt as both Bolt and Dortmund are sponsored by Puma.The training is scheduled at 1030 local time (0930 GMT) and will be open to the public, with huge media interest expected.Bolt, who holds the world records for the 100m and 200m, had already announced last January that he would be training with Dortmund during the current international break.“The invitation was made a year and a half ago,” Carsten Cramer, Dortmund’s director of sales and marketing, told SID, an AFP subsidiary.“His injury and the Rio Olympics put a stop to that. He’s in Europe and that fits quite well with the international break.“Of course, you have to see this with a bit of a wink, but there are a few outstanding athletes in the world, and if they are interested in Borussia Dortmund, we feel honoured.“We’d like to be good hosts, we will take care of him so that he gets to know more of Dortmund than just the club.”Since retiring from athletics last year, Bolt has made no secret of his dreams to play football and insists he is serious.“I do not want to hurry, I’ll test myself, so I’ll be able to say if I can do this or not, then I’ll talk to clubs,” he said recently at a charity event in Switzerland.“Right now, I do not want to deal with that until I see how good I am.”The Manchester United fan will also line up opposite British pop star Robbie Williams in a charity football match at Old Trafford on June 10.Bolt, an eight-time Olympic gold medallist, will captain the Soccer Aid World XI in a match to raise funds for the United Nations Children’s Fund, Unicef.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, multiple Olympic and world champion, is to train with Borussia Dortmund on Friday © AFP/File / Fabrice COFFRINIBerlin, Germany, Mar 22 – Athletics legend Usain Bolt, who has ambitions to start a football career at 31, will train with Borussia Dortmund on Friday, the Bundesliga club confirmed.“Bolt is coming!” tweeted the German club on Thursday, while the Jamaican sprint star wrote “BVB, get ready for Friday #BVBolt #NewLevels @bvb09 @pumafootball”, on his official account.
Premier League fans may remember him as a £30million misfit for Chelsea but Andriy Shevchenko’s exploits for AC Milan in Serie A were breathtaking.
Swansea defender Jordi Amat has signed a one-year contract extension.The 23-year-old Spaniard has made 48 appearances for the Swans since joining from Espanyol in 2013, but has started just one Barclays Premier League game this campaign.Swansea announced the news on their Twitter account, saying: “Swans defender @JordiAmat5 has signed a new one-year contract extension at the Liberty Stadium.”Meanwhile, Swansea forward Kenji Gorre has returned early from his loan spell at Eredivisie side Den Haag.The 21-year-old made just five appearances after joining on an intended season-long in July. 1 Jordi Amat
Donegal publicans could get a timely boost with the news that Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald is considering lifting the ban on alcohol sales on Good Friday.However, Fitzgerald insists it will not come into affect this year but admitted she is considering lifting the ban next year.Fitzgerald has come under increasing pressure form the tourism industry to allow pubs to open on Good Friday. Thousands of tourists descend on different parts of Ireland on Easter weekend every year.However, some tourists unaware of the tradition are left perplexed by everywhere being shut down, especially our pubs.That has led to calls from the tourism industry to lift the ban immediately ahead of the Easter Holidays in April.The Champions cup quarter-final takes place over the Easter weekend this year and plans to lift the ban last year in Limerick fell on deaf ears. The ban will remain in effect for Good Friday 2015 but could this be the last year of the ban?What are your thoughts on divisive issue? Should the ban remain in place or should it be lifted?JUSTICE MINISTER CONSIDERING TO LIFT BAN ON ALCOHOL SALES ON GOOD FRIDAY was last modified: February 3rd, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:alcoholbanBusinessFeaturesFrances FitzgeraldGood FridayJUSTICE MINISTERnews
A 74-year-old man has faced a court this afternoon charged in connection the murder of a former Sinn Féin official and British intelligence agent Denis Donaldson a decade ago.Patrick Gillespie, of Craigvar Street, Glasgow, is charged with withholding information about the murder on dates between April 2006 and July 2016. The accused, who also has an address in Donegal, was remanded in custody at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin.He is expected to apply for bail on Friday.Gillespie and another man, aged 46, were arrested on Tuesday night by Gardai.Both men were taken to Letterkenny Garda station for questioning.The 46-year-old was released today without charge.Garda detectives are to forward a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions in relation to him.Mr Donaldson, 55, was once a leading Sinn Fein figure and its one time director of elections.He was murdered at an isolated cottage near Glenties in April 2006 four months after he publicly confessed to have been working for both the RUC Special Branch and MI5 for over 20 years.The Real IRA claimed responsibility for his murder in 2008.An inquest into his death has yet to be held after being postponed on numerous occasions at the request of gardai.Pensioner remanded in custody over Donegal murder of Denis Donaldson was last modified: July 28th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:craigvar streetGlasgowGlentiesMI5PATRICK GILLESPIEPensioner remanded in custody over Donegal murder of Denis DonaldsonReal IRAruc special branchSinn Fein
That’s it. If this thing gets really popular, attendees will be allowed to sit in the big council chambers down the hall and watch the meeting on those screens. When the council president calls their names for comment, they will have to scurry down the hall to the TV room. One thing that did not change was that those who came to address the council were forced to wait – and wait. Just a usual council day, with the meeting beginning more than 30 minutes late because of tardy council members. Even then, it was nearly an hour later before the five speakers from San Fernando got a chance to appear. People were getting antsy sitting in the small room and pacing the hall outside. Adam Park was perhaps the only City Council novice to check out the debut of the teleconferencing Tuesday. The L.A. Valley College student pronounced it a good idea with a particularly apt description: “It decreases the spatial gap in communications.” Well put. Because spatial “gapidity” between the politicians and the people was exactly what many San Fernando Valley residents had been complaining about for years – and one of the reasons the region nearly seceded from the rest of the city. It’s tough enough that the council meets during the day when most upstanding residents of the city are at work. But then residents have to fight the traffic downtown and scramble for pricey parking. And there’s no guarantee the council will even have a quorum that day or won’t delay taking up an issue that someone drove 25 miles downtown to address. It’s discouraging. “Going over the hill just takes too much of my time,” Jurgenson said. “It’s prohibitive.” This will make it much more convenient. Happily, for the city’s journalist crowd, there is no lack of things the local government does badly. But the truth is, for all the stupid things city, county and school district officials and politicians do, there’s probably at least an equal number they get right – or don’t mess up. And, so far, the first attempt at bringing the council to the people via technology is one of the things done well. Now it’s up to the public to encourage this kind of constructive behavior by attending the teleconferenced meetings. Otherwise, the project will end. “If they stop coming, we will stop this,” said Deputy City Clerk Konrad Carter, manager of the council public services division. Mariel Garza email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Los Angeles City Council is notorious for ignoring the public at its thrice-weekly meetings. One lawyer even sued the council a couple years ago – and won. Still, council members’ attention regularly wanes during public testimony in favor of gossiping round the horseshoe, answering e-mail or making deals. But when Winnetkan Chris Jurgenson appeared larger than life on the council room’s screens Tuesday morning, members sat up, got quiet and paid attention. Maybe it was because Jurgenson had kind words for the council – or maybe it was just the power of the big screen. Jurgenson probably wouldn’t even have noticed if members had been inattentive. He was about 20 miles away from the council chambers, standing in a small room in Van Nuys, talking into a camera and a bright light. Jurgenson, a member of the Winnetka Neighborhood Council board, was one of a dozen people who dropped by Room 208 in the newly reopened Van Nuys City Hall on Tuesday morning to watch the debut of the teleconferencing of council meetings. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals The council will be trying out the live testimony via TV over the next year. If it catches on, it will become a staple not just in Van Nuys, but also in San Pedro and other locales far from downtown City Hall. “I’m just here to see how it works,” said Judy Price, a Valley Glen Neighborhood Council board member. In the end, though, she took the opportunity to speak. There really wasn’t much to see. Attendees on Tuesday assumed the teleconferencing would happen in the brand new, full-size council meeting room in Van Nuys City Hall. But the actual apparatus was set up down the hall in a small room about the size of a midlevel manager’s office. The room had six chairs for speakers, a table with copies of meeting agendas and a phone to call the City Clerk’s Office downtown to log in. Two big-screen TVs stood in the corner. In front of one was a podium with a microphone facing the teeny camera mounted on top.
Local organisers with Inishowen Abortion Rights Campaign have welcomed an increase in interest at their latest Information Stall in Buncrana, Saturday 17th of February.Local ARC volunteer Bauke Roof welcomed the increased, saying ‘Local engagement on the issue is certainly increasing since we held our first stall in August of last year, and we had some very positive, thoughtful, measured conversations with people who were interested in learning about the reality of the range of adverse effects the 8th amendment has on the lives of Irish women.”“It is never a simple decision and every woman has to make that decision for herself, ideally with the help of her doctor. The reality today is that, because of the 8th amendment, a woman does not get that help. A doctor is prohibited to provide information on abortion and a woman criminalised for obtaining an abortion in Ireland.” The Abortion Rights Campaign Information stall in Inishowen, DonegalBauke conceded that it was evident from speaking with people on Saturday that some people have their minds already made up on the issue one way or the other. She also agreed that there is a large number who are undecided and confused on the matter.She pointed out that the Citizens Assembly heard from a wide range of medical and legal experts, as well as groups representing the full range of opinion from lobby groups. The Joint Oireachtas Committee also heard from expert medical and legal opinion in order to make recommendations for dealing with the 8th amendment and how abortion might be provided for.“That is a lot of information for people to process”, she continues. “The term ‘abortion on demand’ seems to raise a lot of questions, while the terms ‘on request, limited and regulated’ are more in line to what is being proposed. At our information stalls there is the opportunity to have positive, open conversations about what this referendum proposal means.”“People are genuinely concerned and they want to do the right thing. The reality is that the 8th Amendment has not had its intended consequences and it is time to deal with that in a mature, realistic way that respects women.” The Abortion Rights Campaign is supporting the Government and Joint Oireachtas Committee’s recommendations for repealing the 8th Amendment. It is their opinion that repealing the 8th amendment is the best way to allow for the provision of comprehensive pregnancy healthcare in a supportive medical environment for an Irish woman facing a crisis pregnancy.Bauke adds: “We intend to run information stalls as often as possible in advance of the Referendum to ensure the correct information is available to as many people as possible. Saturday was a great step, but there’s still a job of work to do.”Engagement increases at Abortion Rights Campaign street stalls was last modified: February 20th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bauke RoofInishowen Abortion Rights Campaign
OAKLAND – The Warriors seemed at ease, even if they suddenly have two injured All-Stars and lost by 23 points to the Bucks. The reason? The Warriors keep things in perspective.The Warriors (10-2) ruled out star Stephen Curry for Saturday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets (5-6) at Oracle Arena after an MRI on Friday revealed a mild to moderate left groin strain. Yet, Warriors coach Steve Kerr considered the results “basically good news.”“This doesn’t look like it’s going to be a long-term …